Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Cape Draping

This weekend I spent some time looking into how I will be constructing various parts of my NYCC cosplay. Before I get too invested in a cosplay, I try to make sure that I have a game plan (or at least a rough idea) of how I will be going about making all aspects of the cosplay.
So, this weekend I looked into Padme's white boots and her white cape. After looking at dozens of YouTube tutorials for ways to construct a cape, I realized that they were all way too complex for what I need. Padme's cape is both complicated and simple; it is a cowl neck cape with a hood. All of the videos had 20 steps to make them.
Screw that. Instead, I took some extra fabric I had laying around, went to my dress form, and started draping out the cape's shape. And it came out wonderfully! I draped the fabric over the neck of the form, with some onto the chest, then wraped it around the shoulders so there is extra fabric to create the hood. With this fabric I roughly pinned it shut to get an idea of how the hood would lay. From there I went to the cowl neck, where I pinned small parts of the fabric to the base fabric. This creates folds to give the cowl a full and layered look.
From this point, I will do a light tacking stitch to hold those folds in, and then I will sew the hood shut to figure out how that will lay best.

I haven't figured out what fabric I will be using to make the final cape but for now this is working wonderfully to learn how to make it before hand. I've seen other cosplayers actually use a blanket because Padme's cape is so textured, so I am considering looking into that as well!

Stay tuned for more and more frequent updates as NYCC gets closer!

XO M


No comments:

Post a Comment